How to Get Rid of Mold?

Written by 

Molds are a type of fungi that reproduce through spores which are released to the air and only grow once they land on moist surfaces with a favorable temperature. They cause damage to your house by discoloring walls and sidings, create dark spots on tiles, sinks and cause rots on wood surfaces. Worse still, the spores may cause health complications to people with allergic reactions while their odor is also unpleasant. Here are the 4 steps to effectively get rid of the molds:

1. Identify the affected areas

Molds can be spotted on any damp surfaces in your home. They are normally manifested through dark or white spots. Molds may also be identified through their unpleasant odor.

2. Prepare yourself.

Before you embark on the task, ensure you have the following:

  • Rubber gloves
  • Rubber boots
  • N-95 mask
  • Scrub brush
  • Mold removing agent
  • Spraying bottle
  • Bucket or a water container
  • Source of water
  • Sponge/ piece of cloth

3. Choose the appropriate method of removing the mold.

It is important to select the right remover to avoid any further damages. Here are the main types of mold removers and how to use them:

Chlorine Bleach

This method is effective for all mold types but is only suitable for non-porous surfaces since it cannot penetrate porous surfaces. When working with bleach it is important to ensure that the room is well ventilated and you are wearing protective clothing including rubber gloves, N-95 mask and rubber boots to avoid any contact with your body. It is also important to note that bleaches should never be mixed with detergents containing ammonia since the mixture emits a poisonous gas.

Pour 1 part of bleach to 10 parts of water and mix them evenly. Apply the solution on the infested surface using a spray bottle or a sponge or  a piece of cloth. Leave the surface without rinsing to prevent future growth of molds.

Baking Soda

This natural mold killing solution is ideal for homes and kitchen surfaces since it is not toxic, does not release a foul smell and absorbs moisture hence leaving the surface dry.

Mix 1 teaspoon with 500ml of water in a spray bottle. Spray on the affected surface and scrub using a piece of cloth or sponge. Wipe off the mold from the surface and apply more solution then and let it dry.You may apply together with vinegar to kill all types of mold mix with vinegar.


Ammonia is found in many detergents and mold cleaning solutions and is suitable for the same surfaces as bleach. Before using is ensure it is labeled "clear ammonia".

Mix 1 part of Ammonia with 1 part of water in a spray bottle.Spray the mold infested areas and leave it for a few hours before wiping and rinsing it.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide is an excellent alternative to chlorine bleach since it is less toxic and can be used on surfaces that come into contact with food. However, you need to be cautious while using on colored materials since is bleach. 3% concentration of this solution is required.

Pour the concentration into a spray bottle. Spray it on the surface and leave it for about 10 minutes. Scrub the surfaces to remove the molds. Wipe the surface using vinegar to remove all molds

Grape food seeds extract.

This natural and odorless mold remover may be expensive but is a very effective mold remover. It may be sourced from food stores.

Mix 10 drops with 1 cup of water. Douse the affected area and allow it to be soaked into the molds (the absorbed solution will destroy the molds to their core).Leave the surface without rinsing to kill all molds and prevent future mold growth.

Tea tree oil

Tea tree oil is similar to grape food seeds extract however it emits strong smell that disappears after a few days.

Mix 1 teaspoon per cup full of water and shake well. Apply on the affected area. Leave the surface without rinsing.

4. Hire Professionals 

While cleaning small patches affected by molds can be a do-it-yourself, it is advisable to contact a cleaning service company if a huge portion is affected. These companies have professionals with years of experience and also have the knowledge and correct tools for the job. Besides chemical mixtures for example ammonium or detergents with ammonia may result in a poisonous gas that may be harmful. Trying to save a few dollars in the name of doing it yourself may result in unnecessary risks to your health and permanent damage to your property.

Get Your $50 Voucher Now

Please enter your name.
Please enter your email address.
Please enter your phone number.


{rsform 6}

{rsform 7}